25 Harry Potter Quotes to Live By

I am OBSESSED with all things Harry Potter. If you know me even slightly, you’re probably aware of this.

Call me nerdy (I am), but I have no shame about my HP fandom. It’s all too easy to blame my Potterhead status on a childhood spent growing up with the books and movies. (The first book came out when I was 7 and the last movie when I was 20!). But the reality is that my feelings about the novels have only grown stronger as I have gotten older.

I could give an impromptu TED Talk on Why Harry Potter Matters, because there are many, many reasons, but I’d rather let the books speak for themselves . . .

On Happiness

  • “But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  • “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
  • “Don’t let the Muggles get you down.” – Ron Weasley, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

On Friendship

  • “Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
  • “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

On Bravery

  • “You sort of start thinking anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve.” – Ginny Weasley, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
  • “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
  • “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

On Character

  • “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” – Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
  • “Dumbledore says people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.” – Hermione Granger, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
  • “Perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
  • “You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

On Good vs. Evil

  • “It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay though never quite eradicated.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
  • “The world isn’t split into good people and Death Eaters. We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.” – Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  • “Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

On Life

  • “When in doubt, go to the library.” – Hermione Granger, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • “No good sittin’ worryin’ abou’ it. What’s comin’ will come, an’ we’ll meet it when it does.” – Rubeus Hagrid, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
  • “Youth can not know how age thinks and feels, but old men are guilty if they forget what it is to be young.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  • “Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both influencing injury, and remedying it.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
  • “Every great wizard in history has started out as nothing more than what we are now, students. If they can do it, why not us?” – Harry Potter, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

On Love & Loss

  • “You do care. You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death from the pain of it.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  • “To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.” – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
  • “The ones who love us never really leave us, you can always find them in here.” – Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  • “Until the very end.” – James Potter, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I hope that these quotes motivate you to re-read the books, and that they stick with you as they have with me, inspiring us to try and be a bit better every day.

Penny for your thoughts?