Holy Guacamole: my favorite guac recipe & a review of the Guac-Lock

I’m known for a few things: my love of Harry Potter, cats, and traveling; my excessive consumption of coffee; and my #ShireMargs.

IMG_7658.jpg

And while any good margarita can stand on its own, we all know that margs are best when paired with guac, and that guac is best when it’s homemade.

The Shire has played around with a lot of guacamole recipes over the years (it’s one of my go-to snacks!), and while they’re all very similar, my favorite is a version which we’ve tweaked to perfection. It’s a bit spicier than your average guac, but that just calls for more #ShireMargs!

Here’s the super-simple recipe . . .

  • 3 avocados, halved, pitted, and mashed (mash to your preferred consistency – I like my guac more chunky than creamy)
  • 1 lime, juiced & squeezed over mashed avocado
  • Stir these ingredients together, then fold into the avocado/lime mixture carefully:
    • 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
    • 1/4 cup red onion, diced
    • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (I swear the fresh cilantro is what makes this recipe stand out!)
    • 1 garlic clove, minced
    • 1 jalapeño, diced
    • Sea Salt, Chili Powder, and Cayenne to taste (I like it spicy!)
  • Enjoy! I’d say this feeds about 4 people.

The key, of course, is to use avocados in the perfect state of ripeness. While I can pretty much tell just from squeezing the avocado if it’s ripe enough, some people aren’t quite as confident. Another great trick is to pop the little piece of stem cap at the end of an avocado off and look at the color underneath. If it pops off easily and is green underneath, then it’s good to go. If it’s brown underneath, it’s overripe; and if it doesn’t come off easily (or it all!) then it’s not ripe enough. (I hate under-ripe avocados in guac; I think they taste like banana.)

The second struggle with good guac is keeping it fresh and green if you don’t finish it all in one sitting (#amateur), or if you’re prepping it for a party and not serving it immediately.

Not to worry . . . the Guac-Lock to the rescue!!!

I’ll admit, I was suspicious about purchasing a $16 piece of tupperware, especially since I doubted it would actually work. But I read the approximately bajillion 5-star reviews on Amazon, and got tired of sad, brown, guac, and caved.

Of course, then I had to make some guac and test it out. (Such a struggle, I know). It’s important that you follow the step-by-step instructions that accompany the case, but basically you fill the container with guac, smooth it out so the guac is evenly distributed (i.e no air pockets), push the bottom of the tupperware up until it touches the lid (this way you squeeze all of the air out of the container), and then lock on the lid. It’s sort of like an air-tight avocado elevator. Two days later, my guac had the tiniest layer of brown on top (which I attribute to user error, as it was my first time using the Guac-Lock), but it was so thin it blended right in to the rest of the guac, which was PERFECTLY GREEN.

And for those saying “pics or it didn’t happen,” here’s photographic evidence of the game-changing Guac-Lock at work! I repeat: this is two-day old guac!

IMG_8984

So now that you’re all hungry, go make some guac and enjoy!

Penny for your thoughts?