The 10 Best SPF & Summer-Friendly Products for Super Pale People Like Me

Hi guys! So a few weekends ago I spent a quick 36 hours in Long Island visiting one of my best friends. It was just long enough for me to sit on the beach for a few hours and remember why I always come carting extra sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, the works!

Beach

I’m careful with sun exposure because I’m super pale and it never ends well, and over the years I’ve found awesome products that help prevent lobster-level redness.

Here’s a round up of my favorites!

  1. Neutrogena Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunscreen (SPF 55) – As someone who breaks out really easily, summer can be AWFUL if I use random off-the-shelf sunscreen. This stuff seems to protect my skin without causing breakouts!
  2. Neutrogena Wet Skin Sunscreen Body (SPF 50) – I swear by this sunscreen. I did not use it while I was in LI and it became quickly apparent why I always should. Suffice it to say: this stuff works if you’re still sweaty from a work out or just getting out of the pool and need to reapply. It’s amazing!
  3. Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist (SPF 50) – I love, love, love this stuff! It smells amazing, and you can spray it on over your makeup to help set it and also help protect your skin! It’s probably my favorite product on this list. Even better, Supergoop! has a But First, Sunscreen mini kit (you know how I love sample hacking) that’s the perfect travel size!
  4. Aveeno Positively Radiant Sheer Daily Moisturizer (SPF 30) – This moisturizer is one of my summer favorites because it’s super lightweight and non-greasy, helps even out my complexion, and protects my skin on sunny days. A triple threat!
  5. Sun Bum Lip Balm (SPF 30) – There’s a lot of SPF lip balms out there, but Sun Bum is one of the few that (to my knowledge) comes in SPF 30 instead of SPF 15. They have a couple of scents, but pineapple (no surprises there!) is my favorite.
  6. Living Proof Restore Instant Protection Spray (24 hour UV ray protection) – This spray will protect your hair and leave it crazy smooth and shiny! Great for sunny days as well as days you blowout, curl, or straighten your hair and want to protect it from heat damage.
  7. Korres After Sun Greek Yoghurt Cooling Gel – Sometimes you forget to slather on the SPF, and wind up coating yourself in neon green, sticky aloe vera gel. Hey, it works! But my personal favorite post-sun solution is this cooling gel by Korres. I’m a big fan of their products in general swear by this one. Pro tip: store it in the fridge and your sunburn pain will fade in 30 seconds!
  8. Heart Sunnies – My heart-shaped sunglasses are by far the ones on which I receive the most compliments. I’ve linked to a super-cute pair that’s under $10 on Amazon, and has UV 400 protection. (Sunglasses with 100% UV protection, or UV 400 protection protect your eyes from both UVA and UVB radiation.)
  9. The perfect hat – I keep a baseball hat in my car 24/7, because you never know when adventure may call! I’ve gotten a ton of compliments on my Unicorn Baseball Cap, which I got for $5 at Walmart and which is sadly sold out. Luckily, you can get a similar one on Etsy! I also love a good sunhat, and in true basic white girl style, am kinda partial to the ones with sassy sayings. You can get a personalized one on Etsy for a pretty decent price.
  10. S’Well Water Bottle – Sometimes staying hydrated is even harder to do than staying sunburn-free! My all-time favorite water bottle for keeping things insulated is the S’Well. It’ll keep your water cold for up to 24 hours, even on a sweltering (haha, see what I did there?) day!

I hope that helps all my fellow pale friends enjoy summer safely!!!

Lighthouse

Penny for your thoughts?