The 50 Best Pieces of Advice I’ve Ever Received

It’s graduation season, and while that mostly makes me feel old (it’s been 10 years since I graduated from high school!), it also reminds me of just how much I didn’t know when I was 17, and how much I still have to learn.

Thankfully, I’ve had a lot of very wise mentors, family, and friends, who have given me some incredible advice over the years.

So in honor of all the 2018 grads, here’s a roundup of the 50 best bits of advice I’ve ever received!

  1. Trust your gut
  2. Time is the most valuable thing you have
  3. Happiness is often a choice
  4. Fear is temporary, regret is forever
  5. Don’t be afraid to be the one who loves the most
  6. Laugh at everything, especially yourself
  7. Nobody thinks about you as much as you think about you
  8. Invest in experiences, not stuff
  9. Keep your promises
  10. Own your failures
  11. Make your apologies meaningful
  12. Don’t make decisions when you’re sad or angry
  13. Listen to everyone, but then make up your own mind
  14. Will it still matter when you’re 90?
  15. When you can’t decide, do both
  16. You can be anything, but you don’t have to be everything
  17. Wear the damn dress
  18. Invest in the people who show up
  19. Always pack comfortable shoes
  20. The Internet is forever
  21. People won’t remember what you say; they’ll remember how you made them feel
  22. Comparison is the thief of joy
  23. It’s better to be hated for something you are than loved for something you’re not
  24. You can do anything for one more minute
  25. Most people just want to be seen
  26. You don’t have to be exhausted to be fabulous
  27. Reputation is what others think of you; honor is what you know about yourself
  28. Sometimes “done” is better than “perfect”
  29. Drink more water
  30. You can’t change the past, but you can learn from it
  31. Tell the truth with love
  32. Nobody ever made a bad decision by deciding to be kind
  33. You only need one good friend
  34. If you’re the smartest person in the room, you’re in the wrong room
  35. Everything in moderation, even moderation
  36. If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything
  37. Watch how someone treats their inferiors
  38. Everything’s better after a good night’s sleep
  39. Don’t look at the insurmountable wall; approach it brick by brick
  40. Most people pick the path of least resistance
  41. Assumptions can be deadly
  42. Don’t base your decisions on who you may disappoint
  43. You might not always be the smartest, but you can always work the hardest
  44. Let people know they matter to you
  45. Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about
  46. You can’t boil the ocean
  47. Make yourself useful
  48. You never know who’s watching
  49. Don’t be lukewarm
  50. It’s OK to just have fun sometimes

Did any of these jump out at you? What’s some of the best advice you’ve received?

2 thoughts

  1. Oh boy, your mother’s voice jumped out at me with #31.
    All great advice Jen. You are wise beyond your years.

    1. LOL! I know exactly what that feeling is like. I was typing some of these as though I could hear her saying them. And thank you . . . none of these are mine, but I’m lucky to know lots of very wise people!

Penny for your thoughts?