More Grit, Less Banter

Hello friends! Welcome to my obligatory, “Sorry I was MIA, but I’m back now and have to explain myself to you so that we can return to our regularly scheduled nonsense!” post.

I know I’ve been AWOL since the fall, and I apologize. Many thanks to everyone who asked what was happening with Grit & Banter and if I was simply on hiatus, or if I’d decided blogging wasn’t my thing.

The short answer is: hiatus!

The long answer is that it’s been a really crazy couple of months. At the start of 2017, I did something I’d never done before and had typically sworn vehemently against . . . I made New Year’s Resolutions. Specifically, I made 17 very ambitious resolutions. My best friend thought I’d officially lost it, but as I’ve mentioned before, I’m the kind of person who tends to be 1000% “in” when I do something. So, I made my ridiculous list, wrote it down, and kept revisiting it to stay on track. I’m happy to report that I accomplished 13 of my 17 goals, that three are underway, and that one – perhaps the simplest one of all – is probably just never, ever going to happen (and I’m OK with that).

But, my stupidly long list of challenges for 2017 meant that crunch time kicked in this fall, and lots of things happened very quickly. I’ll spare you the details, but trust me when I say: it was quite the whirlwind end to the year!

It also meant that I completely dropped the ball on blogging. (I haven’t posted since August, blahhh!) When it came down to it, I had to choose between time spent working on the blog, and time with the people whom I deeply care about, who helped me through the ups and downs of this past year. That choice, at least, was easy.

On the upside, time away from Grit & Banter gave me an opportunity to regroup. My younger brother has been an unexpectedly staunch supporter of this whole blogging experiment, religiously reading over posts for typos and encouraging me to keep creating content. So, when he suggested that 2018 was the time for “more Grit, less Banter,” I decided that I should take his advice to heart.

Consequently, my sole resolution for 2018 is quality. I want to try to produce regular, quality content for G&B, like more travel tips and recaps, (some of my most popular pieces from last year), and definitely some “grittier” posts, per my brother’s request. (Coincidentally, my most personal post still remains my most highly-read post, so perhaps he’s onto something. . .)

In fact, you may have already noticed: G&B got a complete and total rebrand, and I’m really proud of its new look! It was so much easier this time around now that I (mostly!) know what I’m doing. I’ve also planned about a year’s worth of consistent blog posts (I have a million ideas bouncing around in my head, all. the. darn. time.), so as long as I honor my writing schedule, I promise that you’ll have some good stuff headed your way!

I also want to focus on quality outside of my blog, too. This mostly means that I’m going to try to pace myself, rather than operating at my usual warp-speed. Instead of saying “yes” to a million things out of a misplaced sense of duty, or an irrational fear of disappointing people, my goal in 2018 is to abide by the overused adage and go for “quality, not quantity.” Many of the resolutions I checked off my list in 2017 have set me up for success in these areas, so I’m especially hopeful that I’ll hold myself to this new mantra.

So thank you, dear readers, for sticking with me when things got hairy towards the end of the year. What are your hopes for 2018? I’d love to hear about the goals you’ve set and how you plan to accomplish them. Until then, here’s to a year full of (more) Grit & (less) Banter!

*Main image via Pexels

2 thoughts

  1. You have left me intrigued as to what some of those 17 resolutions might be! Could you share some? I also like your one word resolution. Last year I read the book “One Word” and was encouraged to choose a word to focus on the entire year. For 2018 I picked commitment. That word choice is already showing itself in a variety of ways in my life. I think a word, rather than a resolution, has much more power and is obviously easier to remember and follow through on!
    p.s. Totally PM me in response if that works better!

    1. I LOVE the “One Word” concept . . . and I really like your word for this year. And yes, I will definitely PM you . . . I am happy to share them publicly, but it’s a long list, LOL, and I don’t think it will fit in the comments section! P.S. Thanks for being such a loyal reader/encourager! You’re the best!!!

Penny for your thoughts?