5 Things To Do When You’re Feeling Uninspired

Let’s be real guys, 2017 is depressing. It’s the year of the blahhh.

tumblr_nlfrdgLb611sicctoo1_250.gif

The world kind of sucks right now, and while I think many of us are trying to do what we can in our own small corners of it, it’s often still very overwhelming.

It’s hard to feel like you can tackle the world’s problems, or even just a minor work project, when you’re feeling completely drained and uninspired. Unfortunately, those are often the moments when you need an extra dose of inspiration to help get you through the blahhh. (Yes, that’s a technical term).

Today I started thinking about what helps me recharge my brain and hit the reset button on my energy levels, aside from downing another trenta iced coffee from Starbucks . . .

e386cc1cae4eb1214b74871de8ac1f6b

  1. Change the scenery – Maybe you’re lucky enough and can hop on a plane and get away from it all for a bit. I find that traveling, more than almost anything else, helps me regain perspective on life. But, if you don’t feel like packing your bags for a few days, try mixing it up on a much smaller scale. Sometimes I swap my gym workouts for a trail run, or drive a different route home from work. These are small changes, but they help me to get out of autopilot mode and look around a bit.
  2. Jam out – I love music. I listen to all kinds of music, and it might be my best motivator. It helps me crank out a million work emails and last a bit longer in spin class, but more importantly, it helps me recalibrate my mood when I’m feeling blahhh. Sometimes I just need to roll the windows down and belt out a tune, and other times I need some soulful guitar strumming to help me sort through all the thoughts in my head and come out feeling refreshed.
  3. Exercise  – All that hype about endorphins? It’s true. Sometimes you can sweat out all the blahhh and get back to feeling creative and energized via a good long workout. Better yet, try the triple threat: go for a long run (or walk) outside in the sunshine while you listen to some good tunes.
  4. Be a bookworm – Reading, for me at least, is often even better than traveling, because for a few hours I can disappear into entirely different worlds where none of the usual rules apply. Something about boy wizards who can defeat dark lords through kindness and courage and determination makes me feel like anything is possible. And, on the days when I can’t delve seven books deep, I’m a big sucker for poetry. My current obsession is Christopher Poindexter’s Naked Human, and I think it should be required reading for all people.
  5. Radio silence – Sometimes you need to ditch the devices, shut off your cell phone, and completely disconnect. Try going one day without looking at your phone unless it rings. The last time I ran errands I shoved my phone in the bottom of my bag, and lo and behold!, I actually interacted with other people. From the adorable toddler in line in front of me, to the barista with the super intricate tattoo she designed herself, it felt nice to connect with something other than my Wi-Fi.

I know these seem like super obvious tips, but I think sometimes we all need a reminder to be intentional in how we channel our energy. It’s easy to feel drained when you consider the state of the world (not that I’m advocating for anyone to stick their heads in the sand; now more than ever, “constant vigilance!” – as a certain boy wizard’s professor always said – is necessary), but it’s also possible to regain your energy and inspiration if you take a breather every once in a while.

playing house.gif

*Main image via Cuded, Leslie Knope gif via Tumblr, Coffee sketch via Pinterest, Playing House gif via Bustle

Leave a Reply

WordPress.com Logo

Twitter picture

Facebook photo