My 10 Favorite Apps for Awesome iPhone Photos & Videos

Hey guys! I’ve been getting a lot of questions lately about my Instagram photos, and how I take them (i.e. what kind of camera I use, etc.). I’m going to let you in on a little secret . . . I don’t actually own a camera. All my photos are taken with my iPhone 6s, so I don’t even have the latest, greatest version!

I’m certainly not a photographer, and I will never pretend to be. (Seriously people – don’t trust just anybody with a digital camera and a part-time hobby to shoot your wedding!) I’ve had the good fortune to work with a lot of gifted photographers over the years thanks to my job, and their talents – from framing a shot, finding the proper lighting, directing the subject, and editing the images – are obviously going to give you a much higher-quality photo than anything you can shoot as an amateur with an iPhone.

But, if you just want a solid #brunchvibes pic, or a good snap of your latest vacation, your iPhone will do the trick!

I’ve learned a lot through trial and error, and since I have absolutely zero actual photography knowledge, I stick to really basic point-and-shoot style apps, or editing apps that are very straightforward and offer a lot of presets. (Less for me to mess up that way!)

Today I wanted to share with you my 10 favorites, so that you, too, can document those Leslie-Knope-worthy waffles next weekend.

Waffle Hospital.gif

  1. VSCO – Everybody already knows this, everybody already has this, but it just needs to be said.
  2. Afterlight – Similar to VSCO, I love this one because it gives you all kinds of cool preset light edits.
  3. Snapseed – Maybe the most comprehensive editing app out there.
  4. Cortex Camera – This app is GENIUS for night shots. I take a lot of rooftop city skyline pics, and this is always my go-to.
  5. oSnap – Solo traveler? Want some good photos of yourself in front of famous scenery, but don’t want to break down and get a selfie stick? This app allows you to take a selfie at a distance – you simply move your hand a certain way and the app’s timer counts down.
  6. TouchRetouch – Sometimes there’s a trashcan ruining your otherwise perfect Central Park panoramic. This app lets you remove those pesky little objects.
  7. Lively – OK, this one’s super cool. You can turn your favorite live photos into GIFs and movies.
  8. Rotate & Flip – Turns out, you can’t rotate a video once it’s been shot. This overrides that problem.
  9. Video Crop – You also can’t crop your videos. This app offers preset ratios and a custom option, too.
  10. Instagram – Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know this is cheating, but 99.99% of the time I’m editing my Instagram photos in . . . Instagram. It’s a rare image that gets run through one of the aforementioned apps first, mostly because I’m not overly concerned about producing sophisticated images . . . I just want to have fun!

*Main image via BAI, waffle GIF via Plated

Leave a Reply

WordPress.com Logo

Twitter picture

Facebook photo