25 of The Most Poignant Sentences Ever Written

I’m a giant nerd, and I’ll be first to admit it.

I could wax poetic about Harry Potter for hours on end, and my friends often think that I do.

But I also have an appreciation for words outside of those from The Greatest Book Series to Ever Grace this Humble Planet, and even go so far as to write down really wonderful quotes whenever I stumble upon them.

As I’ve mentioned before, 2017 is the year that I start putting all my random scribbles to good use, and so I’m sharing a few of the most poignant, thought-provoking, heartbreaking, beautiful, and perfect quotes I’ve ever read and reflected upon. I hope you find them as powerful as I do.

On Friendship, Love, & Loss:

  • “My life has a superb cast, but I cannot figure out the plot.” – Ashleigh Brilliant
  • “Being a nerd, which is to say going too far and caring too much about a subject, is the best way to make friends I know.” – Sarah Vowell
  • “Maybe that’s what we look for in the people we love, the spark of unhappiness we think we know how to extinguish.” – Tom Perotta
  • “This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
  • “To say goodbye is to die a little.” – Raymond Chandler

On Happiness & Success:

  • “The thing that makes you exceptional, if you are at all, is inevitably that which must also make you lonely.” – Lorraine Hansberry
  • “They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.” – Tom Bodett
  • “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” – Bessie Stanley
  • “I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.” – E.B. White

On Fear & Self-Doubt:

  • “I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.” – Sarah Williams
  • “I suspect the truth is that we are waiting, all of us, against insurmountable odds, for something extraordinary to happen to us.” – Khaled Hosseni
  • “Sometimes I can feel my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I’m not living.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
  • “You have more to do than be weighed down by pretty or beautiful. You are a fiery heart and a wicked brain. Do not let your soul be defined by its shell.” – Unknown

On Courage:

  • “Let me be something every minute of every hour of my life.” – Betty Smith
  • “She was not a slowpoke grownup. She was a girl who could not wait. Life was so interesting that she had to find out what happened next.” – Beverly Cleary
  • “You sort of start thinking anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve.” – J.K. Rowling

On Honor:

  • “The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” – Harper Lee
  • “Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.” – Lois McMaster Bujold
  • “Anyone can become angry – that is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way; this is not easy.” – Aristotle

On Wisdom:

  • “History does not always repeat itself. Sometimes it just yells, ‘Can’t you remember anything I told you?’ and lets fly with a club.” – John W. Campbell Jr.
  • “I was wise enough to never grow up, while fooling people into believing I had.” – Margaret Mead
  • “Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long.” – Walker Evans

On Hope & Inspiration:

  • “Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • “She believed, of course . . . because without something to believe in, life would be intolerable.” – Rosamunde Pilcher
  • “What is the point of being alive if you don’t at least try to do something remarkable?” – John Green

*Main image via Magic Orthodoxy

3 thoughts on “25 of The Most Poignant Sentences Ever Written

    • jennhobbs28 says:

      Thanks Aunt Rena! It’s one of my favorites too. And I’d say that according to Bessie, you have succeeded A LOT! ❤

      Like

  1. Mallory says:

    I write down quotes out of almost every book I read. Some are not so memorable as others, but at that particular time, they were meaningful and poignant to me. When I look back in my notebooks (yes, notebooks) I’m always surprised at what I took away from something. Thanks for sharing!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

WordPress.com Logo

Twitter picture